The Life Safety Model (LSM) is a piece of freeware to help with the development of emergency plans for both floods and dams by assessing the risks to people and evacuation times for various scenarios.
What can you do with the Life Safety Model (LSM)
The Life Safety Model can be used to provide answers to questions such as:
Risks to people and evacuation issues
- How much time do people have to evacuate before the flood wave arrives?
- Is it safer to try to evacuate the population at risk or to advise them to ‘stay put’?
- How long does it take people to reach safety?
- Where are the safest evacuation routes located?
- How many fatalities is the flood or dam failure likely to result in?
- How can the loss of life be minimised?
Emergency plans for floods and dams
- What is the risk to people posed by a dam?
- Can improvements in evacuation routes or warnings reduce the risks to people?
- Where should safe havens be located?