The Life Safety Model can be used to provide answers to questions such as:
Risks to people and evacuation issues
- How much time do people have to evacuate before the flood wave arrives?
- Is it safer to try to evacuate the population at risk or to advise them to ‘stay put’?
- How long does it take people to reach safety?
- Where are the safest evacuation routes located?
- How many fatalities is the flood or dam failure likely to result in?
- How can the loss of life be minimised?
Emergency plans for floods and dams
- What is the risk to people posed by a dam?
- Can improvements in evacuation routes or warnings reduce the risks to people?
- Where should safe havens be located?